Monday, September 26, 2011

Oh... IN the computer!



In preparation for a professional development session I am attending, I have been reading Heidi Hayes Jacobs' "Mapping the Big Picture: Integrating Curriculum & Assessment K-12". Though published in 1997, the book has new relevance for my school system as we prepare to map our curriculum K-12, all subjects, for a variety of features including, but not limited to:
  • 21st century skills
  • Macro concepts such as "Change" and "Systems"
  • Habits of Mind
  • Integration of content areas
  • Literacy (including media literacy)
  • Technology integration
  • Models and strategies
While most of the book was surprisingly relevant and timely, one thing struck me as interesting and rather amusing: Jacobs regularly refers to putting district information "into the computer" with no reference to how, why, or with what program. My, how far we've come in our use of terminiology since 1997! I keep a OneNote notebook page for my professional reading and included the above image to summarize the HOW of mapping. Ohhhhh... we need to put the information IN the computer!

Stay tuned for a less-sarcastic update on the relevance to "Mapping the Big Picture" post-collaboration with my colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment